Now we're cooking!


It’s almost time to say goodbye to Morocco. Pretty much none of us have clean clothes and we are all a little punchy, especially in the morning.

There are four of us that hang out a bit more regularly and we feed off each other. It’s a bit of a recipe for disaster but I love it.
Strong, beautiful, confident women claiming our place in the world, finding our way. I know I’ve said it in a post before but I no longer will accept a life that’s ordinary. Whatever that looks like, I’ll determine step by step but no longer will I accept “less than" in a situation. I’m the Sultana of my own life and an equal in my friendships and any potential romantic entanglements. I will no longer accept bread crumbs from people in terms of how they value me. I can, will and have always had the power to live my life on my terms and this trip has only reinforced that knowledge. Ok, enough sidebar, let’s talk about today!
We left our village to head for a master cooking class! Seriously, could we have any more fun? We headed to Chef Tarik’s farm outside of Marrakech. It is a beautiful farm where the vegetables are grown and the meat raised. It’s not your typical farm, though. There are beautiful areas to rest and eat, and several areas are prepped for cooking classes.
Chef taught us about spices. He talked about the tajine. He guided us through preparing three Moroccan salads and three tajines — veggie, lamb and chicken. We learned a quick way to prepare couscous. We watched a woman make bread. We learned how to make preserved lemons. We chopped and diced and sliced because, as it turns out, we were making our own lunch. We tasted and seasoned and had many laughs along the way.
And as our tajines were cooking, we did a farm tour, then returned to enjoy what we created.
At the end of our meal we received certificates and kept our aprons for future use.
I’m not sure if I’ve talked about tajine before but it refers to what’s cooked inside and not the actual piece of equipment used to cook it. Tajine is cooked slowly on the top of the stove. It’s never cooked in the oven. Typically it’s cooked in clay pots that are shaped like a mountain or a cone. A Dutch oven could be used and potentially a crock pot.
Tajine is more Northern African cooking and Chef said more to Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. After we finished our cooking class, it was time to head into Marrakesh. We arrived late afternoon and sadly said goodbye to our driver Sameer. As I hugged him goodbye and thanked him for keeping us safe. I knew he will always be a special part of my Moroccan adventure. Tonight we are staying at a new, upscale hotel- The Longvue. It’s kind of odd being here because, for most of the trip, we’ve stayed in riads, ksars and more traditional accommodation. I’m thinking our tour leader Saide probably wants us to shower and this will pretty much guarantee that happens. This afternoon was free but Saide offered to take us to the Medina at night. It was a quick visit but the sights and sounds were overwhelming immediately. There were snake charmers and belly dancers who were men disguised as women. Hustlers and beggars. And this was all in the square before we entered the alleys to the souks. It’s safe to be here but watching for thieves and keeping my belongings close was also part of the adventure.
The souks have pretty much everything you could hope to find. Spices and leather goods; brass and fez hats. I wanted an interesting pair of Moroccan shoes and I managed to get one.
Tomorrow’s adventure will include a guided Medina tour by a local and then I’ll finish up the few items on my shopping list. One thing I’ve added — if I can get it for next to nothing — is a pillow case with “habibi “ on it. The first person to call me habibi was the man at the artisan tile place but my tour leader calls me it once in a while and I call him habib. It means my love. It’s better than the Arabic version of “putz.” We finished up the night eating tapas and enjoying a beer in a sky view bar. The night view of the mosque is incredible. I can’t believe this adventure is coming to a close. One more day and then it’ll be time to say, "Bonjour, Paris," once again.

Comments

Popular Posts