CONVENT WILL WAIT, I HAVE A COFFEE DATE


I like to laugh. Laughter is an integral part of my life. I’ll poke fun at myself; not in self deprecation but when it’s fun and appropriate. Everyone who's on my personal social media channels are people I know and who know me well. I’ve found that, by sharing some of my life and by making myself and others laugh, it also encourages some people to be relaxed enough to share details of their lives. And that can be a good thing.

A few days ago, I posted the caption 'dating update' with a Photoshopped picture of me as a nun. You see, the nonsense I’ve encountered to date has made me laugh and throw my hands up in the air. The response was typical of my friends: laughter along with a comment or two not to give up.


This past week I started messaging with a man who seemed, well, interesting and, dare I say, normal. The only comment he made regarding my picture is that I have a nice smile. Other than that, he started conversations and asked questions about things in my bio. That appeals to me because, if you’ve taken the time to read about me, there’s an excellent chance you actually might want to get to know my personality.


He suggested a coffee date and I agreed. And because I’m in this adventure with my Wing Woman (WW), she came along. What ensued is still making me giggle. Here’s what I posted for my friends to read; needless to say, there’s a lot of laughter:


The convent plan is on a temporary hold pending my character check.


So, while I wait, I thought I might as well go on a coffee date with this man I’ve been chatting with. He seems normal. Hmmm. He’s respectful, not pushy, interesting. Great sense of humour. Positive. 


He suggested meeting for coffee at a southside farmers' market.  I checked with my WW to confirm she was free. Here’s how the date unfolded:


1) Met Coffee Date Guy (CDG) and got a hug.

2) Introduced him to my WW (he knew she was coming).

3) He bought me a coffee (yes, I let him pay and didn’t make a fuss).

4) We chatted. He’s interesting and charming and the conversation flowed easily. I should add my WW had wandered off and left us alone to talk.

5) WW came back an hour later. She’s been sampling at the liquor booths and is pretty chatty. I laugh my ass off inside and CDG includes her in the conversation.

6) WW leaves to do more shopping. CDG and I continue to chat. He does not appear to be an axe murderer.

7) WW comes back and, in addition to shopping, has sampled more alcohol. She is now best friends with Sheila from the tequila booth. Both her and Sheila think CDG has potential. I appreciate the fact that I find out about this later.

8) I decide it’s time to wrap this up so we leave. I get a hug goodbye.


Recap:

  • WW is a great wing woman and an awesome friend; however, she’s a lightweight day drinker. Who gets snookered at a farmers' market on samples before 10:30 a.m.?
  • I’m the official designated driver of my own first date.
  • CDG is quite nice, which probably means this is the last I’ll hear from him.
  • The convent called. I’m ruled out as a candidate for the vow-of-silence program.

After WW and I left the market, we went for lunch and dissected the date. My original plan was a quick 30 minutes but I ended up chatting for 90 — enough time for WW to get snookered.


We talked about how I felt. I felt good about the way things went. I didn’t get butterflies when I met him but it was like talking with someone I’ve known for awhile. It was comfortable. I very much liked the fact that when WW came to the table, he took an interest in her and included her in the conversation. 


I did have a few moments of 'what the actual hell am I doing here?' Do I have any business in even opening the door for a possible relationship with anyone? My life is busy and full. Is there any room for anyone in it? What would I have to juggle or give up to fit someone in? And, of course, the question: would anyone fit like My Favourite Husband?


When I got home, there was a message from him on the dating app (he still doesn’t have my number) thanking me for making time in my day to meet him. He also thanked me for the great conversation. I messaged back in kind. A little while later, he messaged asking about exchanging phone numbers but only if I’m comfortable. 


I’m really not sure what I’m going to do with any of this but I am going to sleep on it, knowing I had a little adventure and maybe met a new friend.


❤️

Comments

  1. I think there was enough there to make it worth seeing him again. Don’t think beyond that. Make sure you are honest with him about any reservations you have - if he’s the decent guy he sounds, then he’ll understand, and give you time/space. And it’s good practice at talking to guys again. Don’t over-complicate this! Baby steps. And let us know how it goes when you feel ready. Wishing you luck xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts