Bonjour, Paris! C'est moi!

Interior of Palais Garnier in Paris.

I did it! 

I put on my big-girl underwear, took a deep breath and boldly went where many other solo travelling women have gone: Out. Out of my hotel room. Out of my comfort zone. Out to explore. Out by myself.

Out is scary. Out means decisions and choices and getting lost and getting found. Out means taking chances, risks and then doing a cha-cha — a step forward and one or two back — when things don’t pan out.

But I can’t sit in my hotel room forever. That’s not what this is about.

And so after an afternoon getting over my jet lag, an early evening where I did enjoy my room, it was time to spend my one full day in Paris, having at least one adventure. 

The Notre Dame is still under renovations from the fire. The Eiffel Tower was closed due to a strike. I’ve visited both before with My Favourite Husband (MFH), so while a repeat visit would be nice, a new adventure would have to be on today's agenda. Deep breath. It would be the Palais Garnier, the Opera House. I’ve never visited there and this would be perfect. I plotted the train route and purchased a ticket. Armed with my high school French from 40 years ago, I attempted to explain what I wanted to a lovely ticket agent. He studied me seriously and said, in English, “Madam, this would be the best option for you as it covers 24 hours in rail, metro and bus.” 

Train ticket obtained!


And so, armed with my ticket, an instruction to go to Platform 24, I set off for Paris. 

My rail journey was uneventful. I did get a bit turned around during my transfer but it was easily rectified with a quick ask for assistance. Before long, I was at the Opera House.

I took a chance and didn’t prebook a ticket in the event I got lost. I needn’t have worried, however. I found my way just fine.

Walking up the stairs of the train station to street level, I inhaled deeply as I looked at the historic buildings around me. I fell in love with Paris.

Europe has a history not found in Canada, a certain je ne sais quoi. Paris is sophisticated and effortless. Paris says: “You can take me or leave me. I’m not bothered either way."

I love that attitude. I want that attitude. 

I found my way to the entrance, bought a guided tour in English with about 10 minutes to spare and waited in the rotunda. It wasn’t long after I put my audio lanyard on that I was approached by a lady inquiring if I was there for the tour. I answered yes and we proceeded to chat. I inquired if she was travelling solo and, when she said yes, I said I was as well and asked her for any tips she’d be willing to share. She talked a bit about how she researched trips, packing and a few other things before our trip began. I soaked it up like a thirsty sponge. 

Exterior of Palais Garnier.


The tour started shortly after and I was lost in the history and culture. The beauty of the Opera House is undeniable but our amazing guide also pointed out different features and tied them in to the story of how Opera was born and how the Opera House pays homage to its history through architecture. 

Every turn was breathtaking but, for me, the piece de resistance was the visit to the auditorium. We were lucky we could go in because no rehearsal was taking place. The acoustics were amazing. The architecture was amazing. The fact I was sitting in the Palais Garnier — unbelievable! I admit to crying a little bit because, while MFH was not an opera lover, he was an admirer of historic architecture and I could feel him with me. 

After the tour, I wandered off for some picture taking and I bumped into the lovely lady from the tour. She invited me for coffee at the Galeries Lafayette. This is a huge, high-end store comprised of designer brands housed in historic warehouses. In addition to the luxury goods, it has an affordable cafe and a rooftop terrace for viewing. 

I love the fact she asked me to join her. It was such a pleasure connecting with her, learning about her life and sharing a few details of mine. We kept company for about 90 minutes. She went in her way to Sacre Couer and I to the train station for my return ride to the airport. 

My day in Paris was wonderful. I navigated by myself, toured by myself and, with each step I knew, I made the right decision to take this journey. 

I know not everything is going to be perfect and I’m good with that. But I also know that I can do this alone. After all, I was off to Morocco the next day for two weeks of adventure. 

❤️

Comments

Popular Posts