Back to joy: moving, grooving and loving the loving things

Joy.

I had to dig deep to find it recently. Joy, happiness — they are both my natural default. I love to laugh. I love to smile Or, to quote one of the all-time best bands ever to grace a stage (Journey): “She loves to laugh, she loves to sing, she does everything."

And so I let myself be enveloped in sad knowing I’ve developed tools that will help pull me out of the darkness back into the light where I normally live. One time, not long after My Favourite Husband died, I sank into a dark space and I wasn’t sure how to leave. Pain, anger, sorrow, despair burrowed into every part of me. No matter how hard I wanted to surface, I couldn’t seem to figure out which way was up to break that surface. But there was a spark of light that never was extinguished and that spark kept me fighting to leave the dark place I was in. And I did. With the help of my trusted circle, my grief counsellor and my own tenacity, I surfaced and vowed I’d never let myself ever sink so far down that I had to struggle to see up. I’d feel those feelings but I’d always have a way to bring myself back. 


Back to joy.


And so, I still hate fall. I’m still sad over the things that ached my heart. But the difference is this: I know the rough edges of that time in sadness will be smoothed by doing things that bring me joy.


And so, in no particular order, here’s a partial list of joy, the WTF version…


• Anyway You Want It by Journey and MmmmBop by Hanson.
• Aquafit workouts in the pool; an hour of pushing my body hard in the water while listening to music.
  • Baking. Not cooking. Baking. 
  • Spending time with the people I love (when I’m ready to “people” again).
  • Bellydancing.
  • Planning my next travel and work adventures.
  • Finding funny memes to share; reasons to laugh; sharing them and getting laughter in return.
  • Recalling memories with My Favourite Husband.

Joy, love, life, laughter … thank you for the visit, sadness, because you’ll always be a part of my journey but it’s time for me to return back to the light.


“She loves to move, she loves to groove, she loves the loving things..."


❤️

Comments

Popular Posts