The road less travelled


“You won’t like it.” “You’ll be bored.” “You’re too trusting and too nice — someone will take advantage of you." The list went on and on.

Anytime I told My Favourite Husband that I wanted to travel alone just to prove to myself that I could, he had many reasons why I shouldn’t. So, I’d back down and either travel with someone else or just not go.


Both options were OK. Not really what I wanted to hear but OK.


And now I’m about to do what I have thought I wanted to try for so many years except, instead of it being by choice, it’s now by circumstance.


And I’m scared shitless ... and pretty excited. 


I’ve tried a lot of new things these past few years but solo travel hasn’t really been one of them. I did fly to Portugal last year to visit a Heart Sister and her husband but, besides taking a plane there by myself and clearing customs myself, I spent the journey wrapped in arms of love. I treasure every moment of that experience but it’s time to add a bit more to my adventure repertoire.


So I’m looking at heading back 'home' to Portugal to continue exploring that amazing country with people I love. And then I’m going to take a big, deep breath and look at travelling to a different country on my own. No safety net of love. Just me navigating through the intricacies of a foreign country.


This time, my first time alone, I’m looking at booking a tour so much of my hotel, transportation and sightseeing is pre-arranged. But I still need to be a grown-ass adult and figure out how to do everything from buying a local SIM card, to negotiating a fare between the airport and my hotel. I’m in charge of learning to barter for myself, navigate a foreign language on my own and figure out where I am and where I might need to be.


I’m in charge of keeping myself safe. I’m in charge of being smart, knowing where my exits are and keeping myself away from harm as much as possible.


Now that the time is drawing closer, I wish, in some ways, I wasn’t doing this alone. I kind of wish I had someone to turn to at the end of my upcoming days and share what we just experienced. And as much as I know I’m good at connecting with others and will be included in different groups for meals and free time, it’s not the same as having someone I know intimately taking this adventure with me.


I know I’ve got this. Big, deep breath. It’s time for my next step.


❤️


Comments

Popular Posts